Recipe: Tasty Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie
Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's pie filled with ground turkey sautéed with mixed vegetables, sliced mushrooms and fresh herbs with a savory garlic sweet potato topping. This sweet potato shepherd's pie was inspired from my classic Lightened Up Shepherd's Pie. For the mashed sweet potatoes: Scoop sweet potato flesh into a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
Enjoy 🙂 Sweet Potato and Turkey Shepherd's Pie. Turkey shepherd's pie is topped with mashed sweet potatoes and Cheddar. An updated skinny version of the classic Shepherd's pie, made with ground turkey instead of beef or lamb, sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and lots of veggies. You can cook Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil.
- It’s 2 lb of ground turkey.
- Prepare 1 of salt (to taste).
- Prepare 1 of ground black pepper (to taste).
- It’s 2 tsp of poultry seasoning.
- Prepare 2 1/2 lb of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- You need 1 of onion, diced.
- You need 2 of carrots, peeled and grated.
- Prepare 4 of celery sticks, diced.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of butter, divided.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of flour.
- It’s 5 dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1 packages of frozen peas (10oz).
- It’s 1 of banana (ripe).
- Prepare 5 dash of hot sauce.
- You need 2 cup of yellow sharp cheddard.
- You need 2 cup of turkey or chicken stock.
Still as delicious (if not better!), but more nutritious! Shepherd's Pie gets a Thanksgiving makeover! This recipe includes delicious ingredients like ground turkey, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and Add the sweet potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Traditional shepherd's pie is made with lamb, and cottage pie is made with beef.
Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie instructions
- In a deep skillet or a Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add turkey meat and break up with a wooden spoon, season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning..
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot, cover with water, cover pot, bring to a boil, salt and cook 15 minutes until tender..
- While the sweet potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 425F..
- Mix in onions and carrots into the turkey. Add the celery and stir, cook 5 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and whisk 1 minute then whisk in stock and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Thicken a few minutes..
- Stir the gravy into the turkey mixture. Stir peas into meat and turn heat off..
- Drain potatoes and return pot to heat. Add remaining butter and melt over medium heat. Peel and slice banana and add potatoes to the pot. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and a few dashes hot sauce. Mash potatoes and banana to combine, adjust seasoning. Top the meat with the potatoes. Cover potatoes with cheese and set in oven. Bake to melt cheese, 5 minutes..
So I'm actually not even sure what this would be called with turkey, but the If you are missing the holidays already, this Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie is a recipe with holiday flavors that you can have year round. Boil sweet potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water until cooked and soft. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper. Use a fork to scrape the top of the potatoes to make ridges; sprinkle with paprika. A twist on the shepherds pie.